Tuesday, August 19, 2014

The Far-sighted Present

I recently found myself caught between two very different worlds. I was clicking through some creative photo shopped images online, and stumbled across a gruesome photo of a little girl, brutally killed in the Gaza conflict. The person who posted it was making a point that there are more important things to be viewing and educating ourselves in online than tiny people inflating raisins to make grapes.

It worked. The image shocked me and shook me up.

As I turned to the news to get an idea of what was happening in the Middle East, I felt all the feelings I usually feel when reading grim news stories: Shock, pain, frustration, confusion, depression and hopelessness. My view of the world began to darken and I felt helpless to change it.

Then my son squealed with delight at something he was playing with and my attention snapped back to the present. My home, filled with light and life. My family, who gives me daily joy in the challenge of parenting and homemaking. My husband, who encourages me and strengthens me. My beliefs, which buoy me up and give me direction.

Across the globe, wars continue to rage on. And what is to be done? Where should my focus be? I don't want to in any way downplay the horrible and catastrophic events that take place each day. They are real, and serious, and deserve some attention.

Some, but not all.

I embrace the philosophy of living in the here and now. I need to appreciate the peace and the calm and the order that (usually) prevails in my home. I have a purpose in life, and although I believe in being educated in current events, I believe that that education should not overshadow or replace the current events in one's own home. We may learn from the conflicts of others, so that as we strengthen our own home and our own family-- the fundamental unit of society-- we can, in our own small way, and in our own scope of responsibility, change the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment